Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake
Spring is here, which means it's time for citrus to shine! This pound cake is so easy to make, you only need one bowl! It's surprisingly low in sugar, and is the perfect dessert for any spring occasion. I made this yesterday afternoon for everyone to eat after Easter dinner, and it was a big hit! (Even with my dad and Mimi, who are both huge vegan food skeptics.) I hope you enjoy this pound cake as much as we did! Please tag me on Instagram or Facebook with your results.
2 Cups AP Flour OR Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF Flour Blend
2/3 Cups Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
¾ Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
1 1/3 Plant Milk (Soy, Oat, Coconut, Almond, Cashew, Rice, etc.)
1/2 Cup Oil (Neutral, like grape seed, avocado, canola, or veg)
3 Lemons, Zested
1 Tbsp Vanilla
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice from zested lemons
2 tsp White Vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF
2. Grease and flour a loaf pan, shake loose excess flour.
3. In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients. Mix in wet ingredients. Be careful not to over mix.
4. Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan, and place in hot oven.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate 180º
6. Repeat again at the 40 minute mark. This time insert a toothpick, if toothpick comes out clean, your cake is finished, if not, put back in the oven for 10 more minutes.
7.Keep doing this until inserted toothpick comes out clean. (My cake took about 60 minutes, but every oven is different.)
8. Remove cake from oven.
9. Once it's cool enough to safely handle, turn out onto a cooling rack, then place it right side up. (The way it was baking.)
10. Allow cake to cool completely while you prepare the glaze.
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted to remove clumps
3 tablespoon lemon juice from zested lemon
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together glaze ingredients. Add additional lemon juice if you want a thinner glaze.
2. Place cake on desired serving dish
3. Pour glaze over cake
4. Garnish with lemon slices and poppy seeds (Optional)
5. Serve with fresh berries, and vegan whipped cream (Optional)