This chocolate peppermint cream pie was made to go along with our episode of The Night Stalker, which was a prominent serial killer in the 1980's. We weren't very inspired to bake after talking about this episode, so we just decided to google "Popular Desserts in 1985." We found a non-vegan recipe for this delicious pie, and with a few easy adjustments were able to veganize it!
This pie uses quite a bit of pre-made ingredients, which I am usually not a fan of, but this recipe is truly indicative of the time it was written, so we decided to roll with it!
2 Packages of Dry Vegan Chocolate Pudding Mix
1 Cup Plant Milk (we used almond)
1 tsp Peppermint Extract
1 Cup Coco Whip
1 Pre-made (or homemade) Pie Crust.
**If using homemade, be sure to blind bake and cool the crust prior to adding the chocolate filling, as this is a "no bake" pie.
1. Sift the dry pudding mix into a large bowl. (This is important, to remove lumps that can't be beat out.)
2. Use an electric hand mixer to beat the dry pudding and milk on high for two minutes.
3. Add in peppermint extract and mix on low for about 15 seconds.
4. Using a rubber spatula fold in the coco whip until incorporated.
5. Spoon pie mixture into ready pie crust and chill for at least 2 hours.
6. Top with left over coco whip, and fresh mint. (Optional)